Like most rescues, all of our dogs live in foster homes and are unable to be met at the adoption center on a walk-in basis. One-on-one meetings will be scheduled once an adoption application for a particular dog is submitted and approved. To meet any of our adoptable dogs without submitting an application, please attend one of our adoption events, but note that these events are rare, not all dogs attend all events, and your potential adoption will progress much more quickly once you’ve identified a dog of interest and submitted an application.
Check our calendar of events for event times and locations!
- 1 dog = $325
- 1 puppy (up to 1 year old) = $350
Adoption Fee Includes:
- Spay or neuter
- Heartworm testing (and treatment if needed)*
- Parasite treatment
- Microchip and microchip registration fee
- Martingale collar
Worth over $500 of veterinary care!
Dog Adoption Process
- Complete an online Dog Adoption Application.
- It may take up to 5 business days for your application to be fully processed. Delays may occur if we are unable to get in touch with your references and/or information is incomplete. Please notify them we will be calling or emailing so they respond in a timely fashion.
- Once processed, your application will be sent to the foster parent for review.
- The foster home will review all approved applications and contact the applicant that is the best fit. A Second Chance Representative will contact you with other suggestions if the foster home has moved forward with another applicant.
- If after speaking with the foster home all parties agree it could be a good fit, a meet and greet will be scheduled at a neutral location. All household members, including dogs, are required to attend the initial meet and greet.
- If the initial meet and greet is successful, a virtual or in-person home visit will follow. In-person home visits are prioritized for multiple pet households, households with children, and for dogs with special needs.
- Should all go well with the home visit, and your family would like to adopt the foster dog, the foster parent will contact Dog Program staff to schedule a time to finalize the adoption.
- Please feel free to email the Dog Program staff with any questions you may have during this process. For status of your application, or suggestions of possible foster matches please email email@example.com.
Note: Applicants must be at least 21 years old to adopt a dog from Second Chance.
Things to Remember:
- A leash required in order to transport your new dog home. A martingale collar is provided by Second Chance when you adopt or your new dog.
- You will receive a copy of your new dog’s medical records at the time of adoption.
- Adoption Fee payments can be made by check, cash or credit card.
Note: For cash payments, a picture ID is required.
**WE ARE LOCATED IN RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA**
- Thank you for your interest in adopting a dog from Second Chance Pet Adoptions. Please understand that our dogs have all come to us either as a stray or an abandoned dog. They are now in need of a life-long loving family. If you are not able to make the commitment for the rest of their lives, please consider filling out a foster application instead.
- If you are prepared to receive the love and affection of a new dog, please complete the application below. Please note that you must be 21 to adopt.
- Any incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Please ensure you receive a confirmation email after submitting your application. If you did not, your application was likely not submitted successfully and you may need to resubmit. If you are unsure if your application has come through, or would like an update on your application status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we have your application, you will hear back from us within 5 business days. Contact will be made by either phone or email. Be sure to check your voicemail and email daily. Once we have contacted you, you will have 24 hours to reply.
- The adoption fee is a total of $325 for a dog older than a year and $350 for a dog under one year [cash, check, or credit card]