Dog Adoption Process
- Complete an online Dog Adoption Application.
- It may take up to 5 business days for your application to be fully processed. Delays may occur if we are unable to get in touch with your references. Please notify them we will be calling or emailing so they respond in a timely fashion.
- Once approved, your application will be sent to the foster parent for review.
- The foster home will review all approved applications and contact the applicant that is the best fit. A Second Chance Representative will contact you with other suggestions if the foster home has moved forward with another applicant.
- If after speaking with the foster home all parties agree it could be a good fit, a meet and greet will be scheduled at a neutral location. All household members, including dogs, are required to attend the initial meet and greet.
- If the initial meet and greet is successful, a virtual or in-person home visit will follow. In-person home visits are prioritized for multiple pet households, households with children, and for dogs with special needs.
- Should all go well with the home visit, and your family would like to adopt the foster dog, the foster parent will contact Dog Program staff to schedule a time to finalize the adoption.
- Please feel free to email the Dog Program staff with any questions you may have during this process. For status of your application, or suggestions of possible foster matches please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applicants must be at least 21 years old to adopt a dog from Second Chance.
Things to Remember:
- A leash required in order to transport your new dog home. A martingale collar is provided by Second Chance when you adopt or your new dog.
- You will receive a copy of your new dog’s medical records at the time of adoption.
- Adoption Fee payments can be made by check, cash or credit card.
Note: For cash payments, a picture ID is required. For payments by credit card, a 3% processing fee is required to cover merchant charges.